Harold and Susan Vordos

"Pete C." wrote in message
Grant Erwin wrote:

Are you serious? 7/64" holes with a plasma cutter? Have you ever looked

at a
guitar pickguard? This isn't a manhole cover, it has to be pretty!

GWE

Michelle P wrote:

plasma cutter.
run the tip on the back (smooth side).
Michelle

Grant Erwin wrote:

A local kid asked me to make him a pickguard for a guitar. He had his
old one to use as a template, and he wants it made from diamondplate
aluminum. I have been working on this, and I got the stuff cut OK.
Inside radiused corners in enclosed holes were difficult, but I
finally did OK using a jeweler's saw in a scroll saw. I have to drill
a bunch of 7/64" holes, one 1/2" hole, one 7/16" hole, and 3 3/8"
holes, all working from punch marks. The stuff doesn't drill very

well
using normally ground twist drills. I haven't tried punching it, but
figure it might be difficult because of the diamond texture. What is
the best way to make these holes?

Grant

Have you tried a good sharp center cutting endmill? The mills rigidity
will probably also help keep the soft aluminum from yanking the
bit/endmill in too fast.

Pete C.

What Pete said. That's a no-brainer. Even if you don't use the end mill to
drill, make certain that you spot face the diamond protrusions to drill
diameter so they don't deflect your drill. It would be wise to cover the
surface with masking tape if you don't want any swirls from the chips
showing up on the finished product. That is almost always a problem. The
tape will get sticky and release in areas if you use kerosene or other
lubricant, but you should be able to finish the job before it has released
completely. Clean up in mineral spirits when finished, which will remove
the stickiness left behind from the masking tape. You should be able to
pick up the punch marks with a wiggler through the tape. Be certain to
mark them before setting up, while you can see them easily.

Harold