Carolina Breeze HVAC

"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote in message
news:WeiNe.10951$Al5.8037@trnddc04...
Not giving you a hard time, MrKool. Just commenting on some of the things
you have posted:

"mrkool" wrote

I sell Amana and Heil and Goodman, now, if you read around these groups
much, I believe Goodman is getting a bad rap for no reason, now before
they bought Amana, they were pretty cheaply made, but now, they're
copying some of Amana's tricks, so much so, they now look ALmost alike,
same color, dark gray, same compressor, main difference is the cabinet
design and some of the components, expansion valves or metering device,
GE or Emerson motors,
but after installing all 3 systems, I'd install a Goodman in my house
without question, maybe not a gas pack, but then I've had some of my
worst problems with Amana gas packs, mainly a bad run of leaking evap
coils, what a pain.

Goodman got a bad rap (and they deserved it!) because they would sell unit
to ANYONE off the street. That meant any Joe Blow that said "I know how to
solder a pipe!" could pick one up and "install it". Now, I know everyone
says it's not brain surgery or rocket science, but if you have poor
methods like:

Goodman units are STILL crap.
I went to the local reps training..if you want to call it that, and I
swear..still using the same crap they were before..even the VS air handlers
are still the same crappy cheap stuff....sneeze on it and it dents.

1) Using soft (plummers) solder
2) not using nitrogen
3) not installing filter/driers
4) not using A VACUUM PUMP! (with proper manifold or micron guage)
5) not adjusting the charge after initial start up
6) etc., etc., etc......

I see it all the time. Person calls up wanting their unit serviced because
it's not working. Compressor is grounded out. "How can that be??!! It's
only 2 years old!!!" Then you look at the soldered joints, lack of
filter/drier, unit tilted towards the house, and just general ****-poor
job of installation and you KNOW that someone that wanted to make a quick
buck put it in. "Maam! This unit is under warranty. You need to all the
guy that put it in." and she says "I've been calling him for 2 months and
he doesn't return my calls". Why should he/she! They already got their
money.
The other thing is quality. I have seen 2 year-old units that have faded
to a (almost) pink and just LOOK terrible after a short time. Maybe they
have gotten better, but i am still not going to install one until they can
prove to me they are making a better product.

As far as Ruud and Rheem, they're the same unit, I've never like them,
after working on most brands, they seem to be one of the cheaply built
brands I've worked on.

Rheem? Cheaply built??!!! I can take you to many a house that will have a
25 year old Rheem or Ruud that is still running and not a spec of rust on
it (O.K., maybe the fan blade on some of the older ones). No offence, but
to say Rheem is cheaply built and then praise Goodman??!!! You're crazy!
My main problem with Rheem is they were bought out (by some foreign
company) and they are getting to be a pain in the ass to deal with.
Especially when it comes to getting parts.

Frigidare is slightly above the Rheem/Rudd

Bullsh*t! (see above) Almost all of Nordyne's stuff (Frigidaire, Gibson,
Tappan, Kelvinator, etc.) is cheaply made!

Amen...

Hey! How 'bout them Maytag stainless units!!!

How about em..replaced two already..gotta love that so called unit
replacement warranty..LOL

brand as far as builds go, Lennox is almost a different animal
altogether, like their price, high,
and so is York and Trane, proprietary in their parts

I'll agree with you on that (Sorry CarolinaBreeze Man! ;-] ). When I first
started out, my boss installed Luxaires. I just remember going back to a
unit after a year and it had looked like it had been through a war! Grill
was completely rusted out, cabinet faded to some ungodly color, and
NOISY!!! I hated those things!

Look...Luxaire is the Goodman of York.
I dont like them either....the cases ARE cheaper, the paint DOES fade.
However, I can bet that you were looking at prob an older BHR model..
Yorks new Affinity...nothings close to it that I have seen and I sell Trane
now too.

.

Stay away from Carrier/Bryant, worst line of units from them I've seen
in many years.

I used to feel that way about 10 years ago. They had a real problem with
****-poor units: Accumulators on heatpumps would peel, rust and develope
leaks within 5 years. Condensor coils would develope "stress cracks"
(right where you can't even get to them to repair, which you shouldn't
HAVE TO repair!), grills that would rust out in no time and look like
sh*t.
But now they have improved. We have installed a LOT of units over the past
several years and have not had trouble with a one of them (O.K., a few of
the ECM motor modules went bad, but that's about it). I have one in my
house now for about 8 years and I haven't had to do a thing to it.
I think out of all the brands we sell, I put Carrier at the top of the
list. Second would have to be American Standard. Cabinets are not designed
as nice as Trane, but they have been [retty dependable so far. No problems
with them.

As many have stated before, the brand is only 10% of the job. 90% is HOW
IT IS INSTALLED!!!! Almost every brand now has an "upper line" in their
models where they offer 5 years parts/ 10 years on the compressor. A buddy
of mine (that has been trying to get my business) runs the Goodman
warehouse (in the DC area) and says that they offer a LIFETIME guarranty
on their compressors (for the original owner). I believe that is just on
the higher seer equipment, but that's a good selling point as far as
trying to get their reputation back with the contractors.