Rick wrote:
How old is the house? Pull the swithces and post what you find. Sounds
like a California 3 way at first glance...

I purchased one of those light sockets with two wires connected to it
to test if I have the wires coming out of the ceiling connected
correctly. I have been able to connect two ceiling wires to the black
wire of the light socket and two to the white wire of the socket and
the light turns on. Problem is the light is ALWAYS on and there are
still 4 more loose wires hanging from the ceiling.

For the remaining four wires, A and B are paired together in a metal
sheath and C and D are paired together. If I touch the electrical
tester to the hot wire from the ceiling, it glows bright when I touch A
or B, and glows dim when I touch C or D. If I flip one switch and
touch the hot wire and A, the glow chenges from bright to dim as the
switch goes on and off. Nothing changes when I do the same with wires
B, C and D from the ceiling.

Looking more closely, I now think there are wires from the two switches
and two outlets all coming out of the ceiling. That's why there are 4
sets of two.

Unless someone has some good ideas, I'm giving in and calling the
electrician next week.