alt.home.repair

Default Need opinions, Carrier vs Rheem (4-ton, 12SEER unit)

guys,

my A/C went bad and I need to replace it....currently it is a 10SEER,
4-ton, Rheem unit (10 years old). I've narrowed it down to:

$2990 for a Carrier, 12SEER
$2690 for a Rheem, 12SEER

most places I called have the Rheem at $2999, and the Carrier at $3400,
but this one installer got me a Carrier at the same price as most
people install Rheems. I have a couple of question:

1. Is Carrier that much better than Rheem? (most dealers says so, but
reading this forum says otherwise)

2. Should I buy the Carrier for the same price as most Rheems, or
should I save the $300 and go Rheem?

3. Is it worth it to pay the extra $$ to go to a 13.5 SEER?

I gotta make a decision by monday....thanks in advance!!