Speedy Jim

Currently have a ganged, steel electrical box with two switches, and
need to add a third. Needless to say it's in old work--finished
drywall. Thought about making stud-to-stud cuts above and below
existing boxes, then adding the third section. Then I thought I'd
better ask here first.

Is there a way to do this without so much drywall cutting?

That's an awful lot of work to add another gang section.

Would you consider using a duplex toggle ( 2 switches on one strap)?

You can get a cover plate which will "marry" a single toggle
to a duplex. Even do it in Decora style.

Jim