The Natural Philosopher

Default Quality Of Tools

John Laird wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 22:48:55 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:

Accepted definitions are a bit vague, often having Wankel engines as
alternative meanings for "rotary". However, I doubt you'd want a true
rotary engine under your bonnet ;-)

I saw a car with a Rolls Royce Merlin in it, once. Isn't that rotary?
(I'm not actually sure, I really am asking)

No, the Merlin is a conventional V-12.

If you were thinking about the John Dodd monstrosity, it wasn't fitted
with a Merlin engine, but the far less powerful tank version, IIRC Meteor.

I expect 2000+bhp was a bit of a handful, even in 50 tons of tank. They
took the supercharger off, basically.

A Merlin was fited to a transit van at one time. In the back. No room
under the bonnet.