Martin H. Eastburn

DoN. Nichols wrote:

In article ,
William Wixon wrote:

"Wayne Cook" wrote in message
. ..

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:14:08 GMT, "William Wixon"
wrote:

[ ... ]

http://www.recordonline.com/archive/...8/revere18.htm

(i apologize if this is inappropriate and sensationalist.) (is pretty
incredible though huh?)

What I find incredible is the fact that they where able to get lead
to 9,000 deg F. I think that might be a little tough to do.

yeah, me too, when i read that in the paper i remembered something someone
said here, can't remember exactly but was something like "if you want to
know how the news media can't get things right, just read an article about
something you know something about". but then again, i think the person who
was being quoted was intentionally exaggerating.

Well ... let's see:

Lead: C F

MP 327.4 621.3
BP 1620 2984

So -- it was claimed to be at over three times the *boiling*
point. No way it would remain in an uncovered container (which would be
necessary for someone to fall into it) for long enough to do anything
reasonable with it.

However, I suspect that the actual temperature was 900 F (just a
slip of a decimal point), since they were alloying the lead with
something else, which in many cases requires a higher temperature -- at
least to start things going.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I suspect also - slip of the decimal point 'type setter error :-) '
or it was steel that was about to be leaded.

Perhaps the lead pot was entering the steel Ladle and the person was moving the lead pot...
Steel at 9000 is still 3x that of the temp of a Tuyere temp zone of 3630F.

So it has to be a 900.0 number and only lead.

Martin

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn