Franc Zabkar

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 19:50:21 -0400, "someone2"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

On occasion I am offered legacy computers which I setup for donation.

The most recent incoming desktop is a NEC age ~1996. The desktop arrived
with Win '95 and a failing hdd.
I replaced the hdd and installed a licensed copy of Win '98.

Now the problem is the very common issue with windows '98 and the video.
The monitor only recognizes 16 colors at the lowest resolution.

As others have said, you need to install a different video driver. You
can identify the graphics chipset by looking at the card. Otherwise,
including those cases where the graphics is integrated into the
motherboard, you can watch the POST screen for the info just prior to
boot. Or you can query the BIOS using DOS Debug, as follows:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp....e=source&hl=en
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....e=source&hl=en

- Franc Zabkar