mkl

You should go to http://www.thomasmoser.com and under the company tab take
the shop tour. They pretty much describe how they apply the finish. Heated
to 170 degrees, apply, let it set for 1 hour then wipe off. The next day
burnish with steel wool and apply the same process. After that buff with
butcher block wax.

And if you get a chance to come to Maine give them a call and take a tour of
their shop.

"Woody" wrote in message
For some reason I have been getting Thomas Moser's catalog recently, not
that I would ever spend that much on furniture!
I was in Boston last week looking at colleges with my son, and I saw one
of their stores.
The furniture is nice, but unexceptional; certainly nothing to justify the
price.
Their finish though was fabulous; much better than I have done. It looks
almost like a piece of goncalo alves I did to 800 grit. They say they use
hot linseed oil and wax. I have a oiled cherry bookcase I just made, and
a 15 year old can of paste wax I bought to ease the centerboard on my
sailboat; so I put the two together.
It makes my stuff look more like Moser's, but it is still not there. Is
there some secret that is going over my head? Does hot oil make a
difference? I've never heard of that. I am tempted to try scraping
rather than sanding, but I doubt they scrape.
In the meanwhile I am trying to convince myself that my finish has a nicer
"wood" look to it; and theirs looks like plastic.