kony

On 19 Aug 2005 23:48:50 GMT,
(Michael Black) wrote:

But has someone actually traced the board? Like I said, boards
can be laid out to permit different size parts. You do not see
jumpers across the component pads. The traces take circuitous
routes, and the parts may not be right next to the alternative
component pads.

If jumpers are needed, I suspect they'd be laid out as jumpers,
rather than expecting a machine to jam in jumpers across pads
laid out for components. And the jumper pads may not be right
next to the "missing" components.

While that seems logical in a good design, what we have in
these cases is "usually" a board layout that allows for the
various fuses, but then later the fuses are not added
(shaves a couple cents cost) but rather that fuse location
has a jumper wire, or just traced over.

Hence unless someone gets out an ohmmeter and traces the circuit
board, they can't be sure what's happening.

Michael

I agree, but still it's curious that this particular board
has this setup. He and I have both noted many boards with
the fuses there OR missing where they had used more obvious
method of continuity of the 5V supply by merely bridging the
pad(s) gap where a fuse could've gone.