Andy McArdle

Pounding the pulpit in ,
charlie b did expound thusly:

In The World of Turning, you've got but a single "tooth" - the chisel,
gouge or scraper, tool angle, feed rate and RPMs determine the "bite"
size. AND, in The World of Turning, unlike in The World of Norm, the
"tooth" can follow the grain of the wood - and if it does all hell can
break loose.

And that leads to my dilema. At 500 RPMS, things happen 1/3rd slower
than at 1200 RPMs - eight "bites" per second vs 20 "bites" per second.
I "know" that my reaction time is greater than a half a second so when a
catch happens, it really doesn't make much difference whether it happens
in 1/10th of a second or 5/100ths of a second - it's happened before I
can possibly react.

Here's where your Mr. Spock part must be otherwise occupied. Do Vulcan's
take smoko's?

In the World Of Norm, if you take too big a bite you risk biting the hand
that... so naturally you slow down the feed rate.

In the World of Turning it's exactly the same, except you've only got one
tooth and it's not moving. It's not making *any* bites per second; you
could say it's making one continuous bite. At low RPM your feeding less
feet per minute to that single tooth than you would at high at high RPM. If
it's biting the hand, slow down the feed rate by dropping the RPM!

Now the Mr. Spock part of my brain says "More bites per second, the
smaller each bite, and, logically, that's safer.". But my white
knuckles, clenched teeth - and sometimes "cheeks", are telling me -
"SCREW LOGIC - SLOW IT DOWN!".

No, what's really happening is the Mr Spock part has shown he really does
have a human side and logic based on faulty premises is dangerous to your
enterprise while Scottie, down in the bowels of the ship, is screaming "She
cannae take much more ae this! Get a new Science Officer!"

--
- Andy
No tools are lost by lending, except those you wanted to keep.