Grant Erwin

So there's a stub sticking out? I'd make a brass sleeve that just fit over it
and get a matching threaded piece and put it in the other end of the brass
sleeve and crimp it on. You can get small brass tubing short pieces from hobby
shops, and you can likely cut it yourself if you have a Dremel tool (with one of
those superthin abrasive wheels) or maybe the hobby store guy would take pity on
you and cut it. A better fix would be to solder the sleeve, but then you run the
risk of the heat doing something bad at the other end of the stub.

If you don't have a stub sticking out, what do you have?

GWE

wrote:

I'm hoping that the metalworking community can help me out. I no
nothing about this subject but would like some advice.

I broke the speaker binding post on a very expensive and very heavy
subwoofer (A Wilsong Audio Puppy) The post is about 3-4mm diameter. I
can't remove the piece that is still embedded in the speaker because it
is soldered in and the circuitry is inaccessably potted. To ship to the
manufacturer and have them fix would be very expensive.

I'm thinking that my solution may be to drill a core and tap both ends
of the broken pin and connect them with a (conductive) headless bolt.

Would my local machine shop be able to do this and how much should I
expect to pay? I'm on the San Francisco peninsula.

I still get electrical contact when I insert the pin but I'm not happy
with this solution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. email replies greatly
appreciated.