phaeton

Thanks to "No" for the link about mortise locks. I didn't pay
attention to the front door (or any of them for that matter) regarding
the type of lock. I'll know now to look, and if they're full-mortise
types I'll give a call to a locksmith for some quotes vs. replacement.
Thanks for the tip!

Wasps: Jmagerl in a recent thread had a neat idea using a small fan
near their nest to whittle them away by chopping action. I just so
happen to have all the materials to do that, just for kicks.

Upgrading Electric to 200A: I wouldn't attempt that myself. I agree
it's not DIY.

Planing/Grading: I'll have to look at it again. Sounds like lots of
shoveling. Maybe I can rent a small tractor. Still haven't regretted
purchasing a small pickup truck last time around. Sometimes wish it
weren't a stepside. Probably want to do that in the spring, so i can
plunk some sod down on top of the new grade to keep it from going
anywhere, right? I might have to pull a small porch off the front of
the house to do this. It's there, it's sturdy, but it's ugly. I'm not
going to tell you guys how I plan to move it. This house needs a
wrap-around porch anyways.

"the kitchen faucet leaks----$.05 cent repair that will take all day
Saturday, 3 trips to hardware store and $50 in tools! I've been there.
"

Me too. It was a 2 beer job last time I did it

door 'safety backup' switch thingy doesn't work,----Could be repairable vs. buying a whole new unit.

I tinker with solid state electronics so i'm not so worried bout that.
I could probably build the IR laser emitter and "electric eye" detector
from scratch if i had to. Honestly, I think those things are annoying
when you're trying to shut the door and run out real quick, and you
have to jump over the beam path while a door is coming down to crush
your cranium.... I'll have to invent the "just this once ignore me
walking through the beam" button for the door opener/closer

CL Gilbert:
I'd guess the small problems turning into big ones as layers are
removed can happen even in newer homes. I suppose you are right,
though. Hopefully there are no surprises, but it's very possible that
there are.

Once again though.. yep... all the water leaks first.

Thanks to everyone for the help thusfar. Usenet is properly the last
bit of the Internet that's still awesome.