John Rumm

Default Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

Edward W. Thompson wrote:

Would I be correct to assume that all those that post opposing "Speed
Cameras" for whatever reason are those that break the speed limit?

I have no idea - but I would suspect not, since "all" is a rather
absolute group. People oppose cameras for a range of reasons. I am aware
of some people who oppose them and yet do not drive or own a car!

There are plenty of valid reasons for opposing cameras. Some of which
include the general rise in crime that is associated with them, and the
increased accident rates on side roads as people seek to avoid the
cameras. Some people find the concept of automated "justice" of the
black/white nature administered by a camera abhorrent.

The other thing to consider is they are focussing attention on the wrong
problem. Excessive speed for the conditions is estimated by police
accident stats to be a causal factor in only 7.3% of accidents. The
biggest single cause of accidents is the "failure to judge other persons
path or speed" - something that better junction design, and road marking
might help but speed cameras will have no effect on.

I assume those of us that do observe the posted speed limits do not
have problems with speed cameras and the like. It seems to me that a

as I said above many do - and not always for obvious reasons.

good 50% of road users (drivers) act like hooligans when driving and
anything to discourage their behavior is to be applauded, at least by
me.

I would agree completely. However driving like a hooligan is not the
same as driving fast (the fastest roads in this country - motorways -
are also the safest). In fact the police figures indicate that
careless/thoughtless/reckless driving is a causal factor in nearly 9% of
accidents, if you add "inattention" and the "looked but did not see"
categories, that accounts for a further 15% of accidents.

--
Cheers,

John.