Martin H. Eastburn

DJ Delorie wrote:

"Martin H. Eastburn" writes:

Your one high voltage (really medium or somewhat low for service) is
a single phase of a larger 3 phase system.

Yes, I'm well aware of all that. Heck, I know how to *make* those
transformers.

The secondary is then generating single phase voltage - but if there
is a center tap, then the far two ends of the secondary with
reference to the center tap are out of phase and typically 180
degrees.

Typically? What, on alternate Tuesdays it's only 170 degrees?

Special angles for smart assess on Tuesdays.
Actually - I'm a Physicist. I know that the center tap is not perfect.
So the end phases are not perfect.
That is the fact of manufacture. My brother makes Utility Transformers.

This is 220 service.

No, it's 240 service.

IT depends on your high line service and if the high line was kicked up
to allow more power or not.

I have lived using 110, 112, 115, 120, 125, 130 volts on home wall plugs.

There are unique transformers that can generate twisted star
voltages and phases

No, they can *convert* voltages that are already three phase to other
three phase voltages. They come in delta and wye configurations. An
isolation transformer can extract one of the phases and yield a single
phase service, but no simple transformer can turn N phases into N
phases.

You don't know poly phase power. Three phase is baby talk to high power
and special power use. 7 and 9 phases is common. The ends of the stars(Wye to advanced versions)
are phase shifted and are tapped. These are used in precision motor control.
Who said simple transformers are used. You did I didn't. Phases are simply
a relative voltage or current measurement with reference to another.
Many places have 220 single ended to Gnd. Two wires. We in the USA, typically
have double ended supplies with a central neutral that we use as a point of
reference.

but the are not at homes.

Maybe not *your* home.

You have 7 or 9 phase ? - wow - I'm surprised. But then maybe you shop is
in a old CANCO plant that used German sheet metal to can presses.

Yes, I have single phase and soon three phase. I have no need for Poly phase
at this time.

Martin
--
Martin Eastburn