Ed Sirett

Default Lead-Loc and Gas pipes

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:54:51 +0000, BigWallop wrote:

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:16:22 +0000, BigWallop wrote:

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article .uk,
Ed Sirett wrote:
I'm pretty sure any lead pipe left in an existing gas installation is
cause for at least an At Risk notice.

As a matter of interest when and where was lead gas pipe used? My
Victorian house had lead for water and lead sheathed cable, but iron
barrel gas pipes.

Our old house in Edinburgh had block tin as its gas pipes. Never heard of

lead
on the gas supply either Dave. (you know it's block tin if it creakels)

I've seen plenty of defunct small bore lead for lighting in ceiling voids.
The youngest peice of lead I'v seen in any live gas installation was a
1958 house. The lead was probably from original installation, but had not
been removed by and subsequent meter change or Natural Gas conversion
crews. Also it was (perhaps wrongly) accepted by the fitter who installed
the gas boiler in 1972-1975.

If it was inside the house Ed, then it more than likely was made from block tin
(it creakels when you bent it so you know it's block tin) rather than lead.
Block tin is more inert than lead if pumping gas (town or natural) through it.
It could also be extruded to thinner wall thicknesses and keep its strength
better than lead could, so it was the better method used inside the houses.

So it might not have been lead you seen, although the two do look very similar
in appearance.

I don't remember to much about it so you may well be right.
I'm fairly sure tin or lead pipe work is not currently acceptable.
I guess leaking is ID (See FAQ) and sound existing installations are AR.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk