Larry Caldwell

In article ,
) says...

Which reminds me. If I use those rocks, would it be better to use a
straight portland cement sand mix, rather than mortar? I want it
strong, dont care about appearance, and portland seems stronger.
Anyone know?

I don't think it makes much difference in your application. If you want
stronger mortar, just add a little more cement. The primary purpose of
the lime in the cement is to make the mortar stickier, so you can butter
blocks and not have the mortar fall off while you set the block. A rock
wall is not a brick wall, it is a concrete wall with really, really big
aggregate. In fact, if your rock is pretty irregular, you might mix
your grout out of turkey grit rather than sand. I dunno what is
available in your area.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc