Mike Job

Default New Heat Pump or....

I currently have a 12 year old rheem split unit heat pump. The "A" coil is
in the closet and has a drainage problem. The water backed up spilled onto
my carpet and on the sheetrock and went under the wall into another room. I
know I will have to get the unit removed so that I can properly kill the
mold and mildew that will surely grow in there. So, I have two
questions..............

One. Is this unit worth moving into the crawlspace? I have plenty of room
under there, I just don't know if it is worth moving. If it does not have
pump-down valves, the freon will have to be reclaimed and then re-charged. I
will also have to have a horizontal drain pan. The ductwork is minimal,
assuming that the water has not seriously damaged the trunk line underneath.
Wiring is brought from underneath, so no junction is necessary. A local
contractor quoted 675 to do it, but I think some of that was enhanced by the
desire to sell me a new unit, or maybe not.

Two. If I do replace it, what brand of unit best fits my needs? We are going
to sell this house in about three years. I do not want to put a top of the
line unit in only to move and leave it three years from now. I don't want to
leave a poor quality unit in, but I think a large investment would be
wasted. I will need a 2.5 ton. I have an 11 seer now, so I want to go to at
least at 13 seer. Also, I think I would gain efficiency from having a few
problems fixed.(No reduction on trunk line currently, Branches taken from
very end of trunk line, relocation of thermostat from foyer to hallway,
proper size on liquid line{current liquid line is one size smaller than what
comes out on the condensor, it is pinched off and brazed to accomodate a
smaller line}) My primary concerns are enough efficiency improvements to
off-set some of the costs and a decent quality unit that I would not be
embarassed to show to someone wanting to buy the house.

I am considering a Frigidaire unit and I have someone coming out to price a
carrier unit. I thought of having a York system priced and maybe a Rheem or
Ruud. I have heard alot of bad things about Lenox and Goodman, But nothing
from a proffessional who did not sell a competing unit.

It would be nice to get the advice of someone that has no financial interest
in my decision.

Background on the unit.
Rheem Classic XI, manufactured in 1993. Model Number is RPLA-024JAS. (2-ton)

Thanks for any recommendations.