Ranieri

"DLGlos" wrote in message

I also 100% agreee that an old house is more something you form a long
term relationship with, rather than purchase. I often kid people that
my house is my mistress! That said, she has real character, the kind
that seems to be lacking in newer boxes. Not to mention, I haver seen
major problems caused by some of the shoddy corner cutting that is so
widespread in recent construction.

My foundation was also formed with horizontally placed boards (the days
before plywood). The character thing is something that some folks get and
others don't. When we first moved in, the neighbor lady (age 98 at the
time), told us she remembered her cousin building the house and excavating
the basement with a couple horses and a scoop. I was under the front porch a
couple years later replacing a rotted sill plate and found an old horseshoe
in the packed earth.

Reading all the threads about home inspections, however, I really don't look
forward to the day I sell. It's a great house, but it's quirky - some
coppper plumbing some galvanized, some cat iron drain pipe, some PVC, some
conduit, some romex, some bx.... and of course there's the wrought iron
fence that the neighbor built sometime in the 1930's that is 6 inches on my
property...

Probably won't matter much, though - the next buyer will probaly tear down
and build a tract mansion..sigh