WB2MEP wrote:
Steve Kraus wrote:
Is there a photoelectric light control such as you might use for outdoor
lighting that cleanly turns power on and off.

If it has a Ballast rating, it's suitable for switching fixtures with
ballasts, such as flourescent, sodium, mercury vapor, etc.

I installed a couple of photo controls on the lights in my back yard
about 6 years ago, and have been using them with Philips Universal CFLs
with no problems. I just checked and the ones I have are dated 6/97 and
made by "Home Equipment Mfg. Co", model SW-103CT. They do have a
ballast rating noted on them. Another characteristic (noted on the
housing) is that they don't work immediately - even if you cover the
photocell with black electrical tape, it takes half a minute or so for
the light to come on, and when it does, it comes on full brightness.
The housing is a cylinder about 1" diameter and 4" long, with a swivel
and threaded fitting at one end.

I got mine from All Electronics, mostly because I was ordering some
other stuff and they had them for $4 where the hardware store wanted $8.
They are currently selling an "SW-103" photo control (their catalog
number PC-5) that doesn't look exactly like the ones I have, but it
does have a ballast rating, so it might do what you want.

Standard disclaimers apply; I don't get money from any of the companies
mentioned.

Matt Roberds