Duwayne Cruse

I have to agree with SonomaProducts
I unfortunatly lost a finger by not stopping when my nerves were telling me
I should
Now I If any thing makes me uncomfortable I look for a better way

"Robatoy" wrote in message
In article ,
"nevems2" wrote:

What size router bits are safe to use in a hand held router. Have a
Bosch
1617 2.25HP? router. Want to use a 1 1/4", 1/2 shank router bit in it.
Looks a bit beefy to run hand held. Would make multiple cuts to lessen
the
bite the bit takes each time. Looking for any comments or suggestions.

It all comes down to how big a bite you're taking... more so than the
bit size.
A full plunge with a bit 1-1/2" long by 1/2" diameter into solid oak
will cause you grief.
A 1-1/2" diameter bit taking a 1/16" pass into poplar is no problem at
all.
Density of material, feed-rate and RPM all matter.
Some of the larger bits, such as a 3/4" lock mitre not only makes things
dangerous but also inaccurate.
Any time you're spinning half a pound of crazy metal at 22,000 RPM,
alarm bells should be ringing.

Our friends at SonomaProducts sum it up right: when you get nervous...
find another way.