mac davis

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:57:44 -0400, WillR wrote:

mac davis wrote:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 17:28:40 -0400, WillR wrote:

George wrote:

"WillR" wrote in message
m...

I just grind. Even the small tools -- so curious -- why just stoned edges?

They will reach in and make cuts obtainable no other way.

That's why I made some small tools.

Because a scratch which is nothing on the edge of a 3/8 wide tool is
proportionately larger and sometimes difficult to avoid on a 1/8. Also real
easy to destroy good geometry with a moment of carelessness.

I (re-)Learn something every day.

I did put the original edge on with a grinder -- but have used stones
since -- never really thought about it -- but you have pointed out the
obvious.

I guess that I sort of compromise both of your styles...
I did the original sharpening on the belt sander with a 400 belt and mostly use
diamond hones on them for touchup...
I'm way to heavy handed with a grinder... I'd end up with pointed stumps
sticking out of the handles.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

The diamond hones are on my list for the next wood show. :-)

I'll get a real set now that I've tried the Harbor Freight set and like them..
lol

I have a 3 hone set but usually only use the fine one.. maybe because I sharpen
on the sander and not a grinder?