Emmo

Thanx for your response on this. It is helpful...

"RoyJ" wrote in message
nk.net...
Cost of your bought materials like the tube, pickets, hinges, mount, etc,
add at least an additinal 25% to 50% to cover your time to select,
purchase, pickup, return of overages, etc.

Figure your time in hours to build it, add in a fudge time to allow Mr.
Murphy to visit you. Multiply by what you think you are worth per hour.
Add in a second fudge number to cover your shop supplies, especially gas
and wire. For a hobbist level you might want to figure $20 -$30 an hour
for your expected time. That should be enough to cover your labor,
overages, and consumables. Pro level field welders get $60 to $100 per
hour.

Compare the total to a store bought gate of about the same size. It's hard
to charge TOO much more than that. Don't be surprised if the total gets to
be a fairly big number.

Emmo wrote:
I have been asked for a bid on a 4' x 9' metal gate. Very
straightforward, 1 1/2" tubing frame with 3/4" pickets every 5". Plus
hinges and a mount for an opener.

I have helped make gates for a friend's ranch before, I have a good MIG
setup, and I am confident I can do a good job on this. But what should I
bid?

I am in Austin, Texas, if it matters.

Thanx!

__