Set Square

yitzak wrote:

The door is in good condition, was new a few years back and so has
only had one coat of gloss on top of the undercoat. A few small
cracks have appeared. Want to paint it again.

Do I need to undercoat it? If so is it ok to undercoat with a white
undercoat and then paint it with black gloss? Or can I directly apply
another coat of gloss seing as its in good condition

Any recommendations of paint would be appreciated?

It depends on the paint. Some paints *claim* to cover in one coat, without
an undercoat - but if it's subject to rain and sunshine, I think I'd use a
conventional paint which *does* require an undercoat.

Either way, you'll need to sand it to provide a key for the new paint. Your
paint tin will tell you what colour undercoat to use - probably grey rather
than white for black paint.

If at all possible, take the door off and lay it on a couple of tressles to
paint it. You'll get a much better finish - with no runs - when it's
horizontal rather than vertical.
--
Cheers,
Set Square