Heathcliff

Robert E. Lewis wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message
news
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for this.

My water pump, when it turns on after having the water running for a bit,
seems to have a false start.
It will seem like it starts, the stop quickly (less then a second) and

then
about 2-3 seconds later it will turn on for the duration of the cycle and
turn off again.

Anyone heard of this? Any suggestions?

I've had that happen with my pumps, when the air "pad" in the pressure tank
had gone, either the air being absorbed into the water in a conventional
tank, or when the diaphragm or bladder ruptured in a captive air tank. The
result is that the pressure drops very rapidly when you turn the water on,
then goes back up quickly, cycles up and down.

Easy enough to fix it, with a conventional tank -- turn off the power to the
pump and drain the tank, opening it somewhere high as well as draining out
the bottom. I've only had to replace the captive air tanks when they went
bad.

The water pump when we first bought this place had a doo-hickie (or maybe it
was a thingamabob) that injected a little bit of air into the tank each time
the pump ran. It clogged up a lot and I never replaced it.

Robert

Note some air tanks have an air valve on top where you can just hook up
a bicycle pump and pump some air in. Easier than draining, etc.