DLGlos

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 18:04:11 -0500, "Ranieri" uh-uh wrote:

"No" wrote in message
I really doubt that the walls are 16" concrete. They may be stone with
stucco applied or brick with stucco but not concrete. The insides are
probably plaster. They may be 16" thick but certainly not concrete

For those interested, concrete, as we know it today, is a relatively

modern
invention that followed the invention of Portland cement. Its history is
here.... http://matse1.mse.uiuc.edu/~tw/concrete/hist.html If this house

IS
1898 and it really IS concrete it could be one of the first in the world.
Concrete was very new in 1898.

Indeed. Here in the upper midwest, pre 1900 homes virtually all had stone
foundations. From about 1900-WWI you see cast stone blocks, and poured
concrete really isn't too common in the foundation until you get to 1920 or
so.

That said, an old stone foundation isn't necessarily a bad thing - they
might not keep the basement bone dry, but chances are your basement has
minimal headroom anyway - so it isn't likely you're going to finish it off
into a media room or something.

An old house is a different animal - and, yes, it will be a continual
project for as long as you live in it.

While I agree they are uncommon, there are pre-1920 poured foundation
homes. In fact I live in one, built in 1905, While mine aren't 16"
thick, they are every bit of 12". And, what I originally thought were
horizontal foundation cracks, are simply where the form boards were
moved higher from the previous days pour. There is a bulge of
approximately 1/8" where the later (higher) pour meet the previous
pour.

From the ridge marks on my foundation, the form board were about 4"
wide, and laid horizontally. In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if
they were the same boards that went into the framing of the house. My
house is balloon framed, with 20'+ long, 2"x4"'s. That is 2"x4" in
true dimensions, not that 3 1/2"x1 5/8" stuff they sell now.

BTW, after 100 years, there are NO cracks in my foundation. On they
other hand, the concrete floor is rather uneven, and quite thin.

I also 100% agreee that an old house is more something you form a long
term relationship with, rather than purchase. I often kid people that
my house is my mistress! That said, she has real character, the kind
that seems to be lacking in newer boxes. Not to mention, I haver seen
major problems caused by some of the shoddy corner cutting that is so
widespread in recent construction.

DLGlos