Bernie Hunt

220VAC is 2 legs of 110VAC out of phase with each other. Therefore, the
220VAC is across those legs. Sometimes there is also a neutral wire included
which allows the outlet to also offer 110VAC. This configuration is typical
for a cloths dryer where the timer runs on 110VAC and the heaters on 220VAC.

For wiring 220VAC in your shop, I recommend pulling cable with 2 hots, 1
neutral and 1 ground. The motors in your machines don't need the neutral,
but it's handy to have there if you need it in the future.

Bernie

"john smith" wrote in message
Hi guys

Been a while since I've been around - got lots to keep me occupied. Got a
question about electricity. Want to run some wires in my shop and was
wondering... In 110volt you have a live wire and nuetral wire, this is
also single phase. In 220volt is there 2 live wires of 110volt each that
act as the others nuetral. Or does is it have two 110volt phases running
in one wire with a nuetral wire. And are both phases in phase or out of
phases.

Thx Mat