Jeff Wisnia

Sue wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Sue, it would help if we got on the same wavelength first.

Is the part you keep calling a "tap" something most knowledgable folks
would call a "faucet handle"?

Is the thing you call a "cap nut" something that the same knowledgable
folks would call a "screw"?

I've taken the handles off a lot of taps, but I can't recall ever
finding a nut under the pry off cover plate, it's always been just a
screw threaded into a hole in the end of a splined shaft which secures
the handle onto that shaft. But, I'm open to learning something new, so
which is it Sue, a "cap nut" or a screw?

Sue, do you really understand what you are talking about? If you don't
maybe you better back out and let your friend call in a professional.

Respectfully,

Jeff

Tap is Canadian for Faucet. I appologize for getting my countries mixed
up. In your terminology I mean faucet handle.

As for the "cap nut", I made the mistake of looking the name up on the
internet (of all things) trying to get the correct terminology.(I
thought that little screw must have a name, and then I thought thats an
odd name for it, but whatever) . I guess one would more correctly call
it the handle screw.

As for knowing what I am talking about, clearly I don't have the
terminology down so while I know-no one else does. But honestly what is
the worst thing that can happen here? Either I break it and then they
call the plumber, or they just call the plumber. But fixing my own was a
2 on a hard scale of 1-10 where 10 is hard, and 1 is easy, So I think
it is at least worth a try.

It would be great if you could discern the brand of those faucets and
contact the manufacturer or a distributor to see if there's a "trick" to
removing them.

It's hard for me to believe any manufacturer would design a faucet with
pieces of stone *glued* on right over the area you have to reach to
remove the handles.

Are there recesses in the handles matching the shape of the stones or
are they just standing proud of the surface? If they're in recesses,
then chances are the manufacturer put them there and maybe there's an
unconventional means for handle attachment, like perhaps a radially
placed set screw accessable from the side of or behind the handle. (Any
small as yet unexplained holes in the sides of those handles Sue? Have a
look see.)

If the stones are not in recesses, than perhaps some nutty interior
decorator more concerned with decor than function did make the bathroom
tile guy "glue them on" without regard to future access. If you reach
that conclusion then go ahead and have at them with a putty knife or
awide thin chisel. I'd suggest warming the handle up first with a hair
dryer or heat gun. wThat might help soften up the adhesive.

Let us know what it turns out to be, curious minds want to know.

Cheers,
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)