WillR

Harry Muscle wrote:
We just had our hardwood floors refinished (and stained) with four
coats of oil modified urethane. Does anyone know how long it takes for=

this kind of urethane to reach it's full strengh. I'm hoping to stay
off the floor until it's fully cured ... unless it takes months
=20
Thanks,
Harry
=20

Oil/Varnish (urethane) finishes are Reactive Curing finishes -- they=20
bond with oxygen, or there is a catalyst in the mix -- so when the=20
thinner evaporates a reaction occurs... Cross-linking or polymerization..=
=2E

I suspect it is oxygen curing -- cures from the top down -- so If the=20
coats are thick (brushed on), I would treat it gently for a month... But =

that's an _opinion_ -- no facts to base it on till you give more info -- =

just a suggestion that has a wide safety margin.

You did not specify the brand or the exact type -- so at best people=20
could only guess -- since they have no info on the type.

You got some good advice to call the manufacturer, or look up their web=20
site -- since there is a fair bit of variation in curing times.

Get understanding Wood finishing by Bob Flexner if you want more detail=20
than you could ever wish for.

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw