dennis@home

"Col" wrote in message
I have a car port which is about 4m wide and has 4.5x3" and 5x2.5" wooden
beams every foot or so, topped with a board+felt flat roof. Over time (and
with the extra weight of the newish roof) one of the 4.5" beams has a sag
such that one of the full-height gates into the carport now fouls on it.
So I'm wondering about what size RSJ etc I could use to replace it? It'll
need to be as strong as or stronger than the timber, but a bit of
deflection would still be ok if it were, say, only 3" in depth - as long
as there's more clearance for the door. Oh, and how heavy would it be
roughly?
All advice welcomed! Thanks.
Colin

You could fix a length of angle steel to the beam.
That will support a lot of weight as the wood stops it twisting.