DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Gunner wrote:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:10:30 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
newsnJMe.33505$vj.18805@pd7tw1no...

[ ... ]

This machine also has .30 backlash on the X axis. Any tricks to repair or
improve this?

That is a non-issue. Machine tools have backlash----it's a fact of life
(unless they have ball screws). You learn to use the machines, regardless
of the amount. It's what separates a machinist from a wannabe.
Besides, .030" is hardly backlash. New machines often have that much.

[ ... ]

300 thous is normal? G

Sufficiently *abnormal* for Harold to have made the natural
mistake that he meant 0.030", instead of 0.300".

Personally, I don't see how it *could* have 0.300" backlash
purely in the leadscrew and nut. (Though a loose mounting of the nut to
the saddle could contribute more backlash.)

As indicated elsewhere, I suspect that Harold's mis-reading of
0.030" is actually what the situation is, with a bit of misreading the
dials (or mis-typing) tossed in.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564