Martin H. Eastburn

E.g save our souls by a piper cub pilot...

Martin

Not likely. The average airliner has so little in common with the
average lightplane that the pilot would just change the scene of the
crash. Airliner navigation systems are so complex that he wouldn't be
able to figure out where he was, much less get the thing configured and
lined up for a workable approach and landing, and things like gear and
flaps slats and spoilers and reverse thrust can keep two experienced
pilots plenty busy. Just figuring out how to disable the autopilot
might take time. An airliner responds very slowly to control inputs
compared to a lightplane and is travelling much faster, so requires a
lot of advance thinking. We have commercial students who have trouble
keeping up with an advanced lightplane while breathing good air at low
altitude, unlike our mythical Cub pilot in a depressurized and
freezing-cold airliner.

Dan

I think you missed it. They are very complex. They are computer controlled.
They can land a 747 cargo plane in auto pilot. These planes are capable
of being driven by a thinking person that can keep their head. There is
fully capable people on the ground to help in a short time.

I have flown a C-47 - no flight school or anything. Took it on a long dog leg
as one of the things to do with the captain in the co seat and the co taking
time off. Those are like driving a tank in the air.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life