michael

Pedro wrote:
I've got a customer who needs a short run of clear plastic panels (14" X 12"
X .25") that I simply need a contour cut around the perimeter.Since this
client tends to think Home Depot has everything I fear that I'm getting a
bunch of blanks from some low quality material to machine.

Any suggestions on tooling etc.. to machine the typical sheet plastic found
at HD?

no problem on HP / speed (10K) or coolant.

Pedroman

Make a vacuum fixture to hold the parts and use a 'down cut' router type
bit. It will be a right hand cut with a left hand spiral so cutting
action pushes the piece downward rathwer than pulling it up. I use an
air blast from a micro mist applicator with the fluid turned off. A .250
diameter cutter I usually run approx 7k rpm and 25-30 ipm when cutting
3mm thick parts. These are odd shapes cut from blanks that are a portion
of a spere (usually) with no seal installed near the part boundary. I
make the conforming fixture smooth enough to be adequate for sealing,
with channels cut to apply the vacuum to a signifigant area. If you wish
to email me for more details, put vacuum fixture in subject. Flat parts
with a seal installed would allow a much faster cutting rate.

michael