Steve Koschmann

Default Rollie Dad's Method Headstock Alignment

HI Group:

I was goofing off trying to figure out rollie dad's method of headstock
alignment and see if my headstock is REALLY aligned or not. .

Lathe is an Emco (not enco) V10 Maximat. Bed has been leveled using a
precision .0005 /ft level

I measured not quite 3 thou total indicator runnout (TIR) at the
headstock end with my old Union 6" 3 jaw chuck , and 15 thou TIR at the end
of a 14" long ejector pin (ground, 3/4" dia).

Following the formula, I think you divide both readings by two to get the
"near and far end average"-- I get 1.5 and 7.5. Subracting as per Rollie
method, does this mean my headstock is out 7.5 - 1.5 = 6 thou over the 14"
length?

And in which direction is the headstock misagligned--- away from the
operator or toward the operator? I am not sure how to tell with the dial
indicator reading...

I can cut a 4" inch straight piece of steel chucked at one end with almost
no taper, and with tailstock support, can easily cut 12".

Am I "twisting" the lathe with the tailstock to turn with almost no taper,
or am I doing something wrong in measuring the alignment???

Steve