Owen Lowe

In article .com,
"robo hippy" wrote:

I always say to turn at what ever speed you
feel comfortable with. Rough bowl blanks, turn the lathe up until it
starts to wobble and vibrate, then back it off until it is smooth. I
turn all bowls on the lower speed range, so small ones will finish turn
at 1750. When I started, I didn't turn over 500. With spindles, it is
the same way. I turn out a number of basting brushes. When starting, I
would turn in the 500 range also. Now 3000 seems slow. Adjust speeds to
your comfort level. Start slow and work your way up.

Have you ever seen Jimmy Clewes demonstrate? He cranks the speed up to
max and leaves it there. Quite a few in the front row of the group made
nervous chuckles and shrank in their seats a tad but I'm sure Clewes
wouldn't do it if he had any doubts.

He commented something on the lines that higher speeds make a smoother
and more controlled cutting action - if I remember right.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Safety Tip'o'th'week: Never grind aluminum and steel or iron on the same
machine or workstation - Thermite.
http://www.hanford.gov/lessons/sitell/ll01/2001-36.htm