Dave Liquorice

Default Speed cameras (Was: New Electrical Regulations)

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 17:47:30 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

er, all cameras (even temporay ones) do have signs a few hundred
yards before them. They have to.

Not in these parts they don't - they will have a sign as you enter
an area with cameras - but it may be miles from the actual camera -

If it is literally miles then report it to the relevant roads
department, don't wine in here. I don't know the recommended distance
but it's not 1 mile let alone miles.

perhaps I did not explain well enough.... The suggestion is there
should be a specific sign for each and every camera - a standard
design at a standard distance from the camera - say 150 yards.

No the distance should be random otherwise you just get everyone doing
the limit as they pass it and speed before and after it. (Just like
the locals do...).

The sign re-states the speed limit in effect, with the reason that
tells you why a camera is there.

Having the speed limit (at the camera not at the sign I assume, you
didn't answer that) and the reason is not a bad idea but I have my
doubts about the need to restate the speed limit. It should be obvious
from the road and signage.

able to deduce the speed limit from the type of road and the
precensense or not of street lighting. Roads that do not follow the
general rules have small speed limit signs every 400yds or so.

you are right - most of them do.

Not most, all. If you know of stretches of road that don't conform
then report them as above.

Warnings like "straight road" would only help illustrate that the
camera is a fund raiser and not covering a real black spot - hence
should be removed.

The section I'm thinking of *is* an accident black spot. One death so
far this year

Granted I would rather not robots issuing black and white judgement
with no ability to accept inputs of common sense in the first place.

A speed limit is a speed limit end of story. If you feel a section of
road has to low a speed limit start a campagne to get it raised.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail