robo hippy

One question that always comes up at demos that I (or anyone else does)
is "At what speed are you turning?" On my lathe, the speed knob fell
off, and just won't stay on any more, plus the readout is on the back
side of the lathe (PM3520). I always say to turn at what ever speed you
feel comfortable with. Rough bowl blanks, turn the lathe up until it
starts to wobble and vibrate, then back it off until it is smooth. I
turn all bowls on the lower speed range, so small ones will finish turn
at 1750. When I started, I didn't turn over 500. With spindles, it is
the same way. I turn out a number of basting brushes. When starting, I
would turn in the 500 range also. Now 3000 seems slow. Adjust speeds to
your comfort level. Start slow and work your way up.
robo hippy