Harry K

I R Baboon wrote:

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...

Eric and Megan Swope wrote:
Thanks guys. I had considered that, and that is probably what I will do

is
use 2 x 12s with the plywood in between, just didn't know if 4 x 12s

were
commonly available.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Eric and Megan Swope" wrote in message
Hi. Is it common or uncommon for Home Depot and Lowe's to stock 4 x

12
lumber? I wanted to use a 4 x 12 for a header, but was unable to

find it
at HD, and didn't know if it was this particular store, if it has to

be
special ordered, etc. Thanks.

Eric

Maybe at a sawmill. Or a place that supplies pole barns and the like.
Look into making your own composite beam to achieve what you need.

No, 4x12 is not common. Making up your own as suggested will make a
far stronger and straighter header. When making it, try to pick fairly
straight stock and if it is a faily long header, lay it out so the
curves are opposite, i.e., if the top one curves left, the bottom one
curves right. Start nailing from one end and keep pulling the other
end together. That makes for a nice straight beam. You might
(probably will) need clamps to draw the ends together when you get
near. I have done that often with stock up to 2x10, haven't tried with
2x12.

Harry K

crowns are ALWAYS up.

Except when building headers. Check out some construction manuals if
you don't believe it.

Top posting corrected

Harry K