Andy Hall

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 23:07:50 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

No, it was called snoek to try to fool us that we weren't eating whale,
allegedly.

Trouble is, people at least in the north pronounced it 'snook', which is the
noise you make when you force air up through your nose to dislodge snot and
it made the product unpopular ...

But it was wartime, most things were rationed and we were hungry. You
wouldn't believe what we ate - unless you admit to being old of course :-)

Mary

My mother has mentioned it before now - I'll have to ask her.

It does seem unlikely that a new fish was discovered though.

Thinking that this sounds like a Dutch word, I did some searching and
it appears that it is a Pike.

http://home.hccnet.nl/g.graag/InfoSnoek.htm

Also, whale meat, at least when cooked, has more of the texture and
taste character of meat, rather than fish.

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl