Mike Henry

"Pete" wrote in message
newsnJMe.33505$vj.18805@pd7tw1no...

snip
This machine also has .30 backlash on the X axis. Any tricks to repair
or
improve this?

That is a non-issue. Machine tools have backlash----it's a fact of
life
(unless they have ball screws). You learn to use the machines,
regardless
of the amount. It's what separates a machinist from a wannabe.
Besides, .030" is hardly backlash. New machines often have that much.

It's been pointed out that all new machine tools (even Monarch lathes and
Moore jig borers) are made with used machine tools.

I'm curious, though. Did even the quality machine tools from years past get
shipped new with backlash as much as much as 0.030"?

All but one of the axes of my modest collection of lathes, mills and
grinders has less than 0.015" even though the youngest is nearly 30 years
old and some of them look pretty well used and none of them are top tier..

Mike