Wayne Cook

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 12:10:30 -0700, "Harold and Susan Vordos"
wrote:

"Pete" wrote in message
newsnJMe.33505$vj.18805@pd7tw1no...
I have an opportunity to purchase a milling machine that is within my

budget
and will possibly with a little sweat equity be a decent machine for my

"out
of control" hobby shop.The machine has Meehanite castings, DRO and X axis
power feed as well as a one shot lub system

How would one go about repairing a three inch diameter cutter mark that is
in the center of a 9X42 offshore mill table that is .050 deep.

If it was mine, and it bothered me enough, I'd bore it deeper, then plug it
with a quality piece of cast iron, then refinish the surface *very*
carefully. That wouldn't work if it breaks into the T slots. Or live
with it.

In some cases the JB Weld or preferably better epoxy fix might be ok
but this approach is definitely better. Especially on a large hole
like he's talking about.

This machine also has .30 backlash on the X axis. Any tricks to repair or
improve this?

That is a non-issue. Machine tools have backlash----it's a fact of life
(unless they have ball screws). You learn to use the machines, regardless
of the amount. It's what separates a machinist from a wannabe.
Besides, .030" is hardly backlash. New machines often have that much.

Agreed. I think it's rather funny when everybody gets concerned with
the backlash on a machine. Every machine will have backlash in some
amount. They have to if you're going to be able to move it. If there's
no play anywhere then there's no way to move it. Balls screws do help
but that's only useful in CNC where the motor locks the screw.

My Sidney lathe has at least 0.070" backlash but it doesn't concern
me (at least till the cross feed nut finally gives up the ghost).

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm