David C. Partridge

"Arctic Silver" is what everyone swears by ...

Dave
"BW" wrote in message
Hi,

I had removed the heatsink from the processor a few days ago to clearup
the heatsink fan and the dust accumulated in that area. I had read at
some places that once the pad assemble is dismantled, a new one should
be used or thermal grease is recommended.

I bought a packet of Antec thermal grease yesterday to replace the
almost three year old pad between the processor and the heat sink. I
applied it on the processor+heatsink assembly and the machine is up now.
However, my system logs do not show any difference between the
temperatures with the thermal pad and now with the grease.

So there were a few doubts about the thermal grease which I used. The
consistency of the grease is similar to a 10% cream. But in the images
on the internet describing the process I had seen the grease to have a
consistency similar to that of a toothpaste. Is what I bought the right
thermal grease? It cost me $5 for a gram of it. Or would I be better off
using a thermal pad instead?

Thanks,
/KS