carl mciver

"SteveB" wrote in message
news:8iyMe.56847$DW1.41314@fed1read06...
SNIP
| This fella says he did the same thing, and paid $1500 for it from a rental
| place. Heck, since it will be stationary, I can get one with a fried
drive
| motor, so long as the scissors work okay. It's only going to be a 4 or 5
| foot rise, as the lift deck is about three feet off ground level already.
|
| So, kudos to you and the other fellow for thinking outside the box. (I
| would give his name, but I think he wanted to avoid the flaming going on.
| He knows who he is.)
|
| We will be going to the cabin Friday, then on a trip through Northern
| Nevada, and up to Jackpot, then back to the cabin to meet relatives for
| Labor Day.
|
| So much to do. Going to do some fancy iron work, some gates, some stair
| railings out of Indital stuff, just a lot.
|
| That scissor lift is going to be handy.
|
| And safe, too. Already OSHA approved to lift people. Guard rail. Toe
| kick. You couldn't ask for more.
|
| Steve
|
| PS: I think the other way would have been more exciting to ride on,
though.
| But then, you're talking to someone who has actually ridden a headache
ball
| on a crane, and a 1" line with a boot loop down from a crown block eased
| down by a drawworks cathead.
|
| If'n ya know what I'm talking about ...............

I've been in a couple situations similar, but never deadly if I had to
use both hands for something.

There are gas and electric scissor lifts. The electric I think would be
best for you, since it's still usable if the power goes out, and hey, the
batteries could also be used to help provide power to the cabin when the
lights go out. They have dead man controls, which means they can be
operated by someone on the ground to override the upper controls. They can
go as high as you feel like paying for, but at some point batteries don't do
the job. The big ones even come with outriggers. I've had some 40 or 50
feet in the air, which when swaying gently is highly unnerving for me. I
can tolerate heights, as long as I feel like I'm in complete control.
At work some have been modified to help install certain bulky components
to the airplanes that would otherwise be very scary, so much so that the
thing barely resembles a scissor lift. The platform is very stout and you
can do a lot of things to it. I'm sure a large rental place wouldn't mind
parting with one to get rid of it, since the drive systems take the biggest
beating. Sounds like a fun project.