Rex B

xray wrote:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 13:02:02 -0500, F. George McDuffee spake

Next question:
why would anyone spec a 1-1/8 mm module gear?

I think this gear was from the QC box. Its task is to produce exact
output ratios by meshing between many gears on fixed shafts. I can't
fathom how much fun it must be to design something like that, but I'd
think using non-standard gears might be the easiest way to get it done.

This 16T gear is on the input (left) side of the box, on the shaft with
the main gear-stack. The gears on the left are 16/32-16/32-16, turning
independently on bronze bushings, then a cast boss extending from the
case, then the multi-gear progressive stack which are keyed to the shaft.

It meshes with a 32-tooth gear on one side and the change-lever gear on
the other side. The power flow goes:

Input stub shaft gear
Center shaft, left side (the gear in question is here)
left change lever gear
Change lever shaft
Right change lever gear
stepped gears
gear on leadscrew or gear on power apron drive shaft.