CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

John Willis wrote:
On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:04:59 GMT, "Eric and Megan Swope"
scribbled this interesting note:

Hi. Is it common or uncommon for Home Depot and Lowe's to stock 4 x 12
lumber? I wanted to use a 4 x 12 for a header, but was unable to find it at
HD, and didn't know if it was this particular store, if it has to be special
ordered, etc. Thanks.

Eric

4X12 is a common size, but you won't find it at any Home Depot or
Lowes I've ever frequented. To find sizes like this you have to find a
real lumber yard, not the silly, poorly stocked and over priced "Home
Centers."

I was recently in an 84 Lumber just up the street, which is a real
lumber yard, and they had 4X12 rough cedar beams, as well as other
sizes.

For a header, that isn't exposed so it doesn't matter what it looks
like, I would laminate one up for myself. I would probably build it in
place because it would be a bit heavy once assembled. Use 1/2" CDX
plywood glued between two 2X12 boards and you will have a 4X12. And it
will be stronger than a solid piece of lumber would be. Gang nail or
bolt it together, or both. If I wanted this exposed, I would probably
still build it like this and then dress it up on the outside with
whatever grade wood I wanted.

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

I went to several 'real' lumber yards myself, and they still didnt have
this size in Cedar.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert