bigbrian

Default Conservatory cost vs payment schedule

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:07:13 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

Thanks for some good feedback here - more or less confirmed what I
thought.

Cost of conservatory supplied - £8,837 (a)

Cost of installation - £720 (b)
(paid directly to installer)

Planning approval - £400 (c)
(paid direct to architect)

Cost of building works, including - £1,980 (d)
base, brickwork, electrics etc
(paid direct to tradesmen)

TOTAL -£11,937

The payment terms are as follows:

Deposit with order - 2,837 (1)

Planning fee - £400 (2)

Building works completion - 1,805 (3)

Delivery of conservatory - 6,000 (4)

Completion of electrics - 175 (5)

Installation completion - 720 (6)

TOTAL - 11,937

Although it doesn't specifiy who the actual payments are to be made
to, obviously (1) + (4) + (a), (2) = (c), (6) = (b), and (3) + (5) =
(d)

My problem with this is that by the time the conservatory has been
delivered to site, but not erected, I've paid over £11,000 of the
total bill, with only (5) and (6) outstanding.

Much too much too soon, especially if you are paying some contractors
separately. For example, you can't reasonably withhold on the
electrician because the conservator supplier misbehaved.

As it happens, I received the final quote I'd been waiting for in this
morning's mail. I'd discounted it, because from the way the guy was
talking when he visited, it was shaping up to be a lot more expensive.
Its come in at £12,458, although that doesn't include the two roof
vents, which they quote at £230 each, or the planning fee, which they
do for £295 using their in house surveyor. It also doesn't include an
air con unit, although the other one doesn't either, but which the
first company said they would supply and fit for an extra £500 (list
for it is £895), ie pushing the whole thing with them to £12,437

This second quote is using an Ultraframe roof, and with all the
building work carried out by in house builders. The stage payments,
however, are

Deposit 10%
Completion of building work 20%
Final completion 70%

which, with the added convenience of one point of contact using in-
house personnel, certainly makes it more attractive, even at a higher
cost. I've explained my position to the guy there, and am waiting for
them to get back to me with a price including the roof vents and the
a/c unit, but I'm more inclined to take it even at the higher price. I
told them what the quote was that they were competing with, although
I'll be surprised if they match it for the same spec. Be interesting
to see what they come back with

Brian