SteveB

"Steve" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for the info. I get it now - as you said, this particular level
seems
to do well at projecting a straight line.

What I was not understanding was how to get a level line around a room
when
the device only had a indicator of level in a single direction. The real
answer is not to use this level for such a purpose or that I would need
another level to make sure its level in the other direction too.

Have you ever tried to level a transit? They have to be level in all
directions for some measurements. It's a booger, and I could never do it
accurately. That is why you don't see them any more, but the lasers.

The lasers have a weight in them that hangs perfectly plumb no matter what
the tripod does. Oh, they try to get the tripod halfway level, but when
they put the laser mechanism on top, it's level, and will throw a level line
or plane 360 degrees.

Yes, what you want is one that throws a level plane (thin sheet of light)
all around the room. Not that expensive. You get what you pay for. If you
are going to use it a lot, or depend on it for accuracy, spend a few extra
bucks and get the best you can afford.

On most things, a little bit out of whack doesn't make a lot of difference.
But it is sure nice to have things come together at the end of a run.

Steve