EXT

Many people, including some posters on this newsgroup, think that all
electrical problems are a "short circuit" and have no concept as to what a
short circuit is and what it would do. Their analytical skills and knowledge
is just as accurate.

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
Joseph Meehan wrote:

MJR wrote:

symptoms
1. garage lights won't turn on
2. garage door opener won't go up/down
3. when light switch is off, garage opener sensors light up
4. when light switch is on (lights don't go on), sensors go off
5. Voltage tester shows 104 volts in all outlets in garage

what should I do (besides calling an electrician)?

the problem began soon after the first rains in 6 weeks

the power to the garage is underground conduit from the house, under
the yard to the garage.

For the moment, let's ignore that 104 Volts as I believe it is a red
herring.

Go check the circuit breakers, Is one tripped? I suspect not. Now
check out all your GFIs. One or more of them should be protecting your
garage. They may be in the garage, kitchen bath or breaker box. It the
test and reset button on each one.

If that gets you power, the 104V you found was only a very low amp
induced current and you never would have been able to measure it without
that digital meter you used.

Joseph, I'm usually in agreement with you, but if there's enough current
to light up the opener sensors I doubt that it's being provided by
induced or capacitively coupled current. But, maybe if they are
extremely low current devices there is a possibility of that happening.

Nothing to be lost by following the steps you describe, they are
certainly the simplest thing to start with, but I'll still put my money
on a high resistance joint somewhere.

That's assuming the OP's description and our understanding of what he
means are correct, something that isn't always true on this newsgroup. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)