Default Rewire oven plug 3 to 4 wire, new home, plug it in and get sparks

I never claimed to be an electrician, but we are moving into our newly
built home and (by code) the electrician put in a 4 wire connector for
the range. I bought a 4 wire cable and rewired the oven (there we
instructions on the back of the oven). I tried plugging it in and
sparks and a pop occurred on the back panel of the oven. Probably
fried the oven, but that's another matter. Pulled off the oven panel
and the wiring looks correct. They have a diagram where each color
wire goes, an I have them installed in the correct place and tightened
securely. The only thing I am not sure of is I didn't check for a
bridge connection between the white wire and the green wire (ground)
which I read should be removed in a 4 wire configuration to meet code
(although I doubt it is causing the sparks). Am I complete idiot here,
or could the electrictian have messed up the wiring. Is there a way I
can test it or since the breaker is off, pop the wall cover and make
sure the leads are connected in the wall correctly?
Thanks.