Mike Mitchell

Default Silicone sealant

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:33:45 +0100, "Graeme"
wrote:

I have just finished selaing my bath with silicone with the intention of
putting some of that plastic sealing strip on top to make it look neater.
Now that the silicone has cured (dried, or whatever) and I put the trim in
place, it looks crap! I'd prefer just the silicone finish. The problem is
that I didn't ensure a 'perfect' finish to the silicone (it's quite good,
but has the odd bump) when I put it in, so I either need to;
1) Add extra silicone for a nicer finish (is this possible?),
2) Rip it up and try again (I don't like this option), or
3) Use some other self-adhesive edging.
Suggestions? Thanks.

I know the feeling! I hate applying a silicone bead around a bath or
worktop, as it takes a knack that only comes with practice. That
practice, however, is probably something that only a plumber or
kitchen refurbisher would acquire, since most DIYers only have the one
bath or worktop to *uc* up.

I have tried everything I can to facilitate the application of an even
bead without bumps or pits. I've applied clean-edge masking tape (the
blue stuff) on both sides of the bead. I've tried various backs of
spoons, and my finger, wetted, to smooth and shape the bead after
application and before curing starts. But it still remains a very
messy, imprecise, hit and miss job that I try to avoid for as long as
possible.

I, too, tried the easy way out with the plastic sealing strip last
time I went round my bath. It came on a roll from Focus DIY and was
£5.99 for the 15 mm wide one. It was by Polycell, I seem to recall.
It's been in place for four months but is already starting to lift
away in places, despite rigorous cleansing of the surfaces before
applying it, including wiping with meths. It is a poor alternative to
pristine applied silicone beading, though.

I don't know what the secret is. If anyone has any tips I'd be pleased
to hear them, too. But applying silicone remains one of my worst
nightmares in DIY. I would rather build my own sofa than applying one
single bead of silicone!

MM